Fluorescent light bulbs, including energy saving compact fluorescents, contain mercury. When a bulb breaks, it releases mercury - which is toxic to the human nervous system and can poison wildlife - into the air. Fishing in many Massachusetts water bodies is restricted due to mercury contamination.
When a light bulb breaks, projected shards of glass may injure eyes or skin.
Store bulbs in box or case to prevent breakage.
Keep out of reach of children or pets.
Wear glasses when handling lamps.
If you break a bulb, follow the Guidance for Cleaning Up Broken Fluorescent Light Bulbs.
Non-Fluorescent, incandescent and LEDs can be thrown out in trash.